Record Store Day is here and there is a myriad of special releases that may, or may not, be available where you are. To help make the day a little easier we present our 10 top picks to look out for.
- Romeo Void – Live From THe Mahubay Gardens November 14, 1980: Never previously available, this performance from East Coast rockers Romeo Void makes its vinyl debut release.
The first officially-authorised concert album from the San Francisco 1980s new wave/post-punk band captured during the months when the band was recording its debut album, It’s a Condition, with The Cars’ leader Ric Ocasek.
- Willie Henderson & The Soul Explosion – Funky Chicken The 1970 album from Willie Henderson and the Soul Explosions. As evident by the name, it is infinitely danceable from the moment you press play. The band’s potent blend of soul and bayou funk makes for a very exuberant-sounding record, where the grooves are endless. The record was initially released on the legendary Brunswick Records, famous for signing such artists as Jackie Wilson and The Chi-Lites. Bonus track “Loose Booty”, not included on the original LP, will be instantly recognizable to fans of the Beastie Boys, who sample the intro. For the first time in more than a decade, ORG Music is bringing the title back to vinyl in the US exclusively for Record Store Day 2023! Pick up a copy at an independent record store near you.
- Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires – The Sound Emporium EP Single-sided 12″ featuring 2 new originals from RSD US Ambassadors Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires, a reimagined version of “Tour of Duty” from Here We Rest, and a cover of Richard Thompson’s “Beeswing”. Side B includes a stunning vinyl etching designed by Pearl Rachinsky-Moreland.
- Soul Jazz Records Presents – New York Noise: Dance Music From The New York Underground 1978-82 This new 2023 edition features classic New York post-punk, punk funk, synth wave and no wave tracks from Arthur Russell/Dinosaur L, James White and the Contortions, The Theoretical Girls, Mars, Konk, Material, Bush Tetras, Lizzy Mercier Descloux alongside rare tracks by the likes of Alan Vega (Suicide), Chain Gang and Implog.
- Dolly Parton – The Monument Singles Dolly Parton as you’ve never heard her before. A first-time collection of the A & B sides from Dolly’s 1960’s singles from her early days at Monument Records. This collection has been fully remastered from the original Monument Records mono master tapes. It also features liner notes from two-time Grammy nominee and the award-winning author, Holly George-Warren.
- Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band – Live At My Father’s Place 1978 Originally released on CD via Rhino Handmade in the early 00’s, this is the first official vinyl release of this complete live show from the Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) tour. Recorded directly to 2-track stereo reel-to-reel tape and eventually broadcast on WLIR-FM on 11 December 1978, this recording finds Beefheart rejuvenated after the critical success of the Shiny Beast album and the new and improved version of the Magic Band. An essential addition to any Beefheart collection.
- Hal Blaine – Psychedelic Percussion Hal Blaine’s 1967 Psychedelic Percussion. The most recorded drummer in music history on his most intriguing recording. An all instrumental psychedelic jazz recording featuring a massive array of percussion instruments, toys, and electronics. The second record to ever feature the Moog modular synthesizer. This is the very first time it’s been reissued since 1967. Sourced from the original master tapes. Inner sleeve with session notes and tape box photos
- Tori Amos – Little Earthquakes – The B-Sides A 1-LP black vinyl collection of the b-sides and rarities featured with the singles from Tori’s seminal release (and solo debut), Little Earthquakes. This is the first time these songs have been collected on a single release.
- A Place To Bury Strangers – See Through You: Rerealized The Dedstrange Rogues’ Gallery of Remix Producers joins forces with renowned Danish Electronic Composer Trentmøller, Andy Bell of legendary shoegaze band Ride (as Glok), post-punk anti-heroes Xiu Xiu, the luminescent Annie Hart of hypnotic synth trio Au Revoir Simone (Twin Peaks: the Return), psychedelic guitar genius Sonic Boom (Spacemen 3, Spectrum), UK Post Punks TV Priest, Tampa Goth band Glove, UK emerging shoegazers bdrmm and many more to tear down the walls between Oliver Ackermann’s dreams on the remix album See Through You: Rerealized, an RSD-exclusive 2xLP set featuring twenty-one brand-new, spicy hot takes on songs from the sixth APTBS album, See Through You.
- Nico – Live At The Library Theatre ’80 Former member of The Velvet Underground, Singer/Songwriter, Model/Actress, Solo Artist/Music Icon. NICO-Live At The Hacienda ’83 was a complete sell out for RSD April 2022 with over 3,000 units (we had orders for over 4k). This new live album will have a deluxe package includes an OBI strip, Single album jacket, Printed inner sleeve, New record labels unique for this release and special Crystal Clear Blue Tint Color Vinyl.
SEE YOU AT THE SHOPS!